Home > All Indian States

All About The Republic of India
The Incredible India , The seventh largest country in terms of geographical area, is situated in the south of Asia. India is surrounded by Indian Ocean, Arabian sea and the bay of Bengal on its south, southwest and south east respectively and shares borders in West with Pakistan, North east borders with China and Nepal, and Eastern border with Bangladesh and Burma. Sri Lanka & Maldives share India’s neighbourhood in the Indian Ocean. Andaman & Nicobar Islands share naval borders with Thailand & Indonesia.
With a population of over 1.5 billion people India is ranked world’s second most populated country. It is predicted that with the growth rate of 1.41%, India would surpass China and would become the most populated country in the world by 2050 with population exceeding 1.6 billion people.
Significant Features:

  • After US, India is considered to have more water arable land and more water areas than any other countries in the world.
  • India is the second most populated country with 17.5% of world’s population.
  • In India lives are majorly dependent upon agricultural activities and similar works done in small villages.
  • The census results conducted in 2001 show that 72.2% of India population lives in 650,000 villages and the remainder of population accounting to 27.8% live in around 5500 towns and 500 urban areas

Administrative divisions:

  • India divided in to 28 states and 7 union territories
  • All states have governments and legislatures elected, based on the Westminster model. This system is followed in 2 territories, Puducherry and the National Capital Territory of Delhi; however the other 5 territories are governed by administrators appointed by the Centre.
  • After the major reorganization of states based on the languages under the States Reorganisation Act in 1956, the structures have largely remained same.
  • All state and union territory is sub divided into administrative districts and these districts further segregated into tehsils and then into villages.

List of States and Union territories by demographics:

State or union territory   Population (2011) Rural Population Urban Population Area km² Density (per km²) Area mi² Density (per mi²) Sex ratio
Andhra Pradesh 8,46,65,533 5,54,01,067 2,08,08,940 2,75,045 308 1,06,195.50 797 912
Andaman & Nicobar Islands 3,79,944 2,39,954 1,16,198 8,249 46 3,185.00 119 878
Arunachal Pradesh 13,82,611 8,70,087 2,27,881 83,743 17 32,333.40 43 920
Bihar 10,38,04,637 7,43,16,709 86,81,800 94,163 1102 36,356.50 2,855 916
Chandigarh 10,54,686 92,120 8,08,515 114 9,252 44 23,970 818
Chhattisgarh 2,55,40,196 1,66,48,056 41,85,747 1,35,191 189 52,197.50 489 991
Dadra and Nagar Haveli 3,42,853 1,70,027 50,463 491 698 189.6 1,808 775
Daman and Diu 2,42,911 1,00,856 57,348 112 2,169 43.2 5,623 618
Delhi 1,67,53,235 9,44,727 1,29,05,780 11,297 9,340 572.6 29,258 866
Goa 14,57,723 6,77,091 6,70,577 3,702 394 1,429.40 1020 968
Gujarat 6,03,83,628 3,17,40,767 1,89,30,250 1,96,024 308 75,685.30 798 918
Haryana 2,53,53,081 1,50,29,260 61,15,304 44,212 573 17,070.30 1,485 877
Himachal Pradesh 68,56,509 54,82,319 5,95,581 55,673 123 21,495.50 319 974
Jammu and Kashmir 1,25,48,926 76,27,062 25,16,638 2,22,236 56 85,805.80 146 883
Jharkhand 3,29,66,238 2,09,52,088 59,93,741 79,714 414 30,777.70 1071 947
Karnataka 6,11,30,704 3,48,89,033 1,79,61,529 1,91,791 319 74,050.90 826 968
Kerala 3,33,87,677 2,35,74,449 82,66,925 38,863 859 15,005.10 2,225 1,084
Lakshadweep 64,429 33,683 26,967 32 2,013 12.4 5,196 946
Madhya Pradesh 7,25,97,565 4,43,80,878 1,59,67,145 3,08,245 236 1,19,014.10 610 930
Maharashtra 11,23,72,972 5,57,77,647 4,11,00,980 3,07,713 365 1,18,808.70 815 946
Manipur 27,21,756 15,90,820 5,75,968 22,327 122 8,620.50 316 987
Meghalaya 29,64,007 18,64,711 4,54,111 22,429 132 8,659.90 342 986
Mizoram 10,91,014 4,47,567 4,41,006 21,081 52 8,139.40 134 975
Nagaland 19,80,602 16,47,249 3,42,787 16,579 119 6,401.20 309 931
Orissa 4,19,47,358 3,12,87,422 55,17,238 1,55,707 269 60,118.80 698 905
Pondicherry 12,44,464 3,25,726 6,48,619 479 2,598 184.9 6,730 1,038
Punjab 2,77,04,236 1,60,96,488 82,62,511 50,362 550 19,444.90 1,425 893
Rajasthan 6,86,21,012 4,32,92,813 1,32,14,375 3,42,239 201 1,32,139.20 519 926
Sikkim 6,07,688 4,80,981 59,870 7,096 86 2,739.80 222 889
Tamil Nadu 7,21,38,958 3,49,21,681 2,74,83,998 1,30,058 555 50,215.70 1,437 915
Tripura 36,71,032 26,53,453 5,45,750 10,486 350 4,048.70 907 921
Uttar Pradesh 19,95,81,520 13,16,58,339 3,45,39,582 2,40,928 828 93,022.80 2146 908
Uttarakhand 1,01,16,752 63,10,275 21,79,074 53,483 189 20,649.90 490 963
West Bengal 9,13,47,736 5,77,48,946 2,24,27,251 88,752 1030 34,267.30 2,666 908
India 1,21,01,93,422 74,24,90,639 28,61,19,689 32,87,240 382 12,69,210.50 954 940